The seeds of giving were planted by Charles and Sarah Hoffberger who emigrated from eastern Europe to Baltimore to the late 1800s. As a hard-working merchant, Charles was known for his acts of kindness. He delivered food to impoverished families and extended hospitality and sponsorship to new immigrants. Sarah, while busy helping to run the family businesses and raising children, was known for her swift generosity in giving coal to neighbors in need.
The family’s organized philanthropy began in 1941 with the establishment of the Hoffberger Brothers Fund. The fund’s name was changed to the Hoffberger Foundation in 1963 under the leadership of LeRoy Hoffberger, who was its president at the time.
In 1979, a second philanthropic organization, the Hoffberger Family Fund, was established as a supporting foundation of The Associated: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore.
The Hoffberger Family Philanthropies (HFP) encompasses the family’s organized philanthropy and includes grantmaking from both the Hoffberger Foundation and the Hoffberger Family Fund. In addition to making a difference, HFP endeavors to make an impact in the Baltimore community.